Let’s make an assumption that most of us reading this article know the benefits of drinking water. Yet, we don’t drink as much as we should. There is a gap between our intention and action. This gap can be bridged with a basic understanding that most of us have not experienced the benefits of drinking enough water. For example, looking younger, thinking faster, feeling more energetic and losing weight is what people proclaim to have experienced after increasing their everyday water intake.
Drinking water is a very simple act. Yet, it takes few weeks of conscious effort to incorporate the optimum intake into your current routine. After all, water has several competitors that might lure you away.
- Start slow, sustain longer - It is observed that the adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters of total beverages a day. Initially, you will have to gauge how much is your current daily intake. At the end of day one, even if you have increased it by two cups, you are winning! Maintain that increase for few days, without making it painful for yourself.
- Don’t drink, sip - Sip water. One cup at an hour. Pep up your water with several flavors. Place a piece fruit, herbs, and/or spices in the bottom of one of the glass jars during weekends. During workdays, a squeeze of lemon water or few leaves mint leaves could break the monotony. You could even try replacing your tea or coffee with water and honey. Remember, don’t go to a sudden and drastic mode. Go slow, sip.
- Water baby - Make access to water part of your environment. Carry a small bottle in your car, have a bottle at your work desk, at home too, make water accessible. And if you are the go getter, set an alarm for every hour for sipping a cup.
- Self-rewards - Don’t be harsh on yourself. Because if you are used to drinking sweetened beverages, sugar withdrawal is not easy to deal with. Initially, feel free to reward yourself with your regular soda if you crave for it. But conditions apply! Only if you have improved on water intake.
- Afterglow - Be obsessed. Maintain a record of your intake. Reward yourself with a star for each glass sipped. At the end of two weeks, you will see your skin clearing up and hopefully by now, you would have also lost a bit of weight.
- Water wisdom - Relook water as nutrition, variety, worship and medicine. This way, you will come to believe that water is good for you. It is humble and out there to keep you hydrated, energetic and lighter.
Reviewed and Approved by a member of the DoveMed Editorial Board
First uploaded: Nov. 22, 2013
Last updated: Aug. 26, 2015
Was this article helpful?