Losing weight and getting into shape feels wonderful. However, one needs to take care of his or her skin to ensure that it remains supple and healthy, despite the weight loss. According to a report published in Dermato Endocrinology in 2012, a gradual loss of skin elasticity leads to sagging. To avoid this phenomenon, it is important to keep the body well-hydrated. If one loses weight too quickly by completely cutting out carbohydrates from the diet, one may have excess loose skin. Hence, it is important to ease the body into the weight loss program instead of using drastic measures, like stopping the consumption of an entire food group, in order to avoid saggy skin.
Experts recommend certain tips on how to tighten skin and help maintain beautiful skin, even while attempting to lose weight:
- Take collagen supplements: Consumption of collagen supplements during the period of pursuing the weight loss program may help prevent fat lines that occur due to insufficient collagen in the skin. They are also known to promote smooth skin. However, it must be done on consultation with a healthcare expert alone.
- Replenish skin oils: Beautiful skin is nourished by natural oils. Help replenish the body’s natural oils by eating foods rich in vitamin A and vitamin E such as cold arctic cod liver oil. This boosts the regeneration of skin and keeps skin soft.
- Apply slimming cream prior to exercise: Slimming creams available on the market are meant to improve the texture of the skin while promoting fat decomposition by stimulating the metabolic rate.
- Ensure that the body is hydrated: Dry skin loses its elasticity. At least 2 liters of water should be drank every day to maintain skin vitality.
- Eat protein-rich meals: Eat foods rich in protein and oils that are good for the skin such as fish, eggs, legumes, tofu, nuts, seeds, beans, and dairy products. Immediately after a workout, a protein-rich meal with 100-200 calories should be taken.
- Protect and nourish the skin: While pursuing the weight loss program, it is important to protect the skin and keep it nourished. Begin by exfoliating the skin to remove dead skin cells and improve blood circulation. Apply skin tightening creams with ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, yeast extract, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin A, soy protein, and aloe vera. These substances will hydrate the skin and boost the production of collagen and elastin, which give the skin its suppleness.
Losing weight in a gradual manner ensures that one’s skin health as well as overall well-being is maintained. After all, we lose weight to look good and feel better!
Ganceviciene, R., Liakou, A. I., Theodoridis, A., Makrantonaki, E., & Zouboulis, C. C. (2012). Skin anti-aging strategies. Dermato-Endocrinology,4(3), 308–319. doi:10.4161/derm.22804
http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/4914/1/Losing-Weight-While-Keeping-Your-Skin-Firm.html (accessed on 2/3/2015)
http://www.vietnamconsulate-sf.org/message.asp?Article/821516/How-to-Maintain-Your-Skin-Health-in-Weight-Loss.html (accessed on 2/3/2015)
http://www.newhealthguide.org/Loose-Skin-After-Weight-Loss.html (accessed on 2/3/2015)
Helpful Peer-Reviewed Medical Articles:
Keller, P. A. (2006). Regulatory focus and efficacy of health messages. Journal of Consumer Research, 33(1), 109-114.
TenHouten, E. (2009). Beautiful Skin: Over 75 Antioxidant-Rich Recipes for Glowing Skin. Hatherleigh Press.