There are a lot of definitions when it comes to superfoods. But, the well-accepted definition among the masses is that superfood is a marketing term that is used to denote foods with believed health benefits. A food that is labeled ‘superfood’ must have a high nutrient density, or must contain within it bioactive components that have proven health benefits.
Below is a list of superfoods that have a lot of health benefits:
- Goji berries are small red berries that are undoubtedly high in antioxidants. A lot of studies have shown that consuming goji berries increases the antioxidant levels. Goji berries contain vitamin C, vitamin B2, vitamin A, iron, selenium, and other antioxidants. The health benefit that this small superfood provides is that it lessens vision from degrading, which is generally caused with aging.
- Coconut water is considered as a natural superfood that houses in itself a tremendous amount of energy. This liquid superfood has a high amount of potassium and mineral content, and is often marketed for having low levels of fat and calories.
- Chia seeds are packed with fiber and these seeds go a long way in helping people to satisfy their hunger pangs. This is helpful for dieters who want to reduce weight, though in a healthy way. The chia seeds consist up to 20% proteins which make one feel full for longer durations. Chia seeds also help one to balance the sugar levels in the body, thus making it easier for one to stop craving sugary foods.
- Mushrooms are beneficial when it comes to blocking the hormones that cause breast cancer to grow and spread. A research by City of Hope shows that mushrooms promote healthy metabolism by preventing fatty liver condition and slowing down the formation of fat.
- Citrus fruits like orange, lemon, and lime, contain vitamin C and phytochemicals. Antioxidants in the citrus fruits neutralize free radicals. When the free radical damage is limited, it helps in curbing the progression of pancreatic or stomach cancers. This can also bring down the cholesterol and protect against cardiovascular diseases.
- Broccoli is filled with vitamin C and folate, which is a naturally-occurring folic acid. This superfood vegetable also has vitamins A, K, fiber, calcium, beta-carotene, and other antioxidants. A small research by the British Dietetic Association has proven that broccoli consumption can result in a significant lowering of cholesterol and cardiovascular diseases. Broccoli belongs to the family of cruciferous vegetables, from which vegetables like cauliflower, cabbage, and kale arise. All these vegetables contain components that are attached to improving the body and curb the growth of cancer cells.
There are many other plant foods designated as superfoods, such as quinoa, green tea, drumsticks, kale, pomegranate, and many more. When consumed with other nutritious foods, superfoods can provide one with many health benefits.