Chamomile or camomile is the common name for numerous daisy-like plants of the family Asteraceae. “Chamomile” comes from the French and Latin word meaning “earth apple.” The plants most commonly named chamomile include:
- Matricaria chamomilla (also known as Matricaria recutita), German chamomile or wild chamomile
- Chamaemelum nobile, Roman, English or garden chamomile
- Chamomile is used to flavor foods, make tea, and for medicine.
Here are the 7 health benefits for chamomile.
1. Chamomile may help reduce anxiety.
Research published in the Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology found that patients who consumed chamomile extract for eight weeks showed reduced generalized anxiety disorder symptoms, compared to those who used the placebo.
2. Chamomile may help children with middle ear infection.
Chamomile has shown to help children with uncomplicated acute otitis media (middle ear infection). A study published in the International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics hope this alternative treatment strategy will reduce the use of antibiotics without compromising proper treatment.
3. Chamomile may have therapeutic value in treating individuals with ADHD.
People diagnosed with the attention-deficit disorder (ADHD) often take noradrenaline and serotonin reuptake inhibitors for treatment. Chamomile is a natural serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor and could be used as a natural supplement to treat ADHD.
4. Chamomile could help children with unwanted bowel movements.
Research from the Medical Office for Pediatrics and Allergology has suggested that chamomile could shorten the length of diarrhea in children.
5. Chamomile can help your skin against premature aging.
A six-month study was conducted on healthy post-menopausal women. Individuals who were treated with chamomile showed significant improvements in the following skin areas: forehead, wrinkles, spotted pigmentation, sagging, under dark eye circles and overall appearance.
6. Chamomile may be used to treat depression.
Studies have found that individuals with anxiety and depression have relief when being treated with the oral chamomile extract.
7. Chamomile may help people with intestinal problems.
Chamomile may help individuals expel gas from the intestines and stomach, and curb the additional gas formation.