What is Foreign Object in the Nose?
It is the presence of a foreign body/object in a person’s nostril.
What are the Causes of Foreign Object in the Nose?
The causal factors of Foreign Object in the Nose include placing or inserting objects into the nostrils, typically by children, while playing, exploring. These could include:
- Children playing with small toys, small parts of the toys
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Foreign Object in the Nose?
The signs and symptoms of Foreign Object in the Nose include:
- Foul odor
- Difficulty breathing
- Discharge from nose, may be bloody
How is First Aid administered for Foreign Object in the Nose?
First Aid tips for Foreign Object in the Nose include:
- Ask the patient to breathe through his / her mouth
- Avoid probing; for this may push the object in
- Gently remove the object, only if the object is clearly visible and easy to grasp
- DO NOT use any sharp objects or tools to remove the object
- Close the other nostril and ask the patient to blow gently through the affected nostril. If this remains unsuccessful after 2-3 attempts, then stop trying
- Seek medical help if the foreign body cannot be removed, and if pain persists
Who should administer First Aid for Foreign Object in the Nose?
First Aid can be administered by the person themselves, or by someone nearby.
What is the Prognosis of Foreign Object in the Nose?
The prognosis for Foreign Object in the Nose is usually good.
How can Foreign Object in the Nose be Prevented?
A few helpful tips to prevent Foreign Objects in the Nose:
- Keep small objects out of reach of children
- Adult supervision is necessary for children, when they are playing in the sand, in the yard, or with toys having small parts
What are certain Crucial Steps to be followed?
- Avoid inhalation through the nose
- Do NOT use sharp object for foreign object retrieval