What is Calla Lily Poisoning?
- Calla lily constitute a wide variety of ornamental plants with trumpet-shaped flowers. The plant is toxic in nature; particularly, its roots
- Calla Lily Poisoning is the accidental or intentional intake of the plant or plant product containing the compound
- The condition is diagnosed based upon the clinical history, combination of signs and symptoms, and additional tests (that may include, in some cases, radiological studies and laboratory tests)
Calla Lily Poisoning may be also referred to variously as the following:
- Arum Lily Poisoning
- Calla Lily Toxicity
- Miniature Calla Lily Poisoning
- Pig Lily Poisoning
- Trumpet Lily Poisoning
What are the Causes of Calla Lily Poisoning?
- Calla Lily Poisoning is caused by eating parts of the calla lily plant. Eye exposure to the plant may also result in symptoms
- This intake could be accidental, or in some cases intentional, to bring self-harm
- The poisonous compounds of the plant include oxalic acid and the protein asparagine that is found in all plant parts; but, the roots are the most toxic parts
Note: The compound can interact with other prescribed or non-prescribed medications in the body. Such interactions may enhance the therapeutic effects of other medications being taken, resulting in undesired side effects.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Calla Lily Poisoning?
The signs and symptoms can vary from one individual to another. It may be mild in some and severe in others. The signs and symptoms of Calla Lily Poisoning may include:
- Burning sensation in the mouth and throat
- Swelling of the mouth and tongue; unable to speak clearly or swallow
- Nausea, vomiting
- Contact with the eye may result in pain, redness, watery eyes, and potential damage to the cornea of the eye
How is First Aid administered for Calla Lily Poisoning?
First Aid tips for Calla Lily Poisoning:
- Call 911 or your local emergency help number, for emergency assistance
- Call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 (or your local poison control center) for further instructions
- Provide them with information such as the compound taken, quantity and time of ingestion, age, weight and general health status of affected individual
- Confirm that the airways are protected; also, ensure breathing and the presence of pulse
- Clean the mouth to remove any remaining pieces; wipe mouth with a wet cloth
- Unless instructed by a healthcare professional, DO NOT induce vomiting in the affected individual
- Otherwise, following an ingestion of the substance, immediately give milk to drink
- If skin exposure or involvement of the eye has occurred, then wash thoroughly with copious amounts of water (for at least 15 minutes)
- Take individual to emergency room (ER) for further treatment
- Always try to take the plant or plant part to the ER
The emergency medical health professional might perform the following steps towards treating the condition:
- Monitor vital signs
- Medically manage symptoms and provide breathing support, if necessary
- Administer fluids by an intravenous drip line
Who should administer First Aid for Calla Lily Poisoning?
First aid for Calla Lily Poisoning is administered by healthcare professionals.
- The individual who is affected, or someone near, should call 911 for emergency assistance (or the local emergency number)
- They should also call the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 (or the local poison control center) and follow instructions
What is the Prognosis of Calla Lily Poisoning?
- The prognosis of Calla Lily Poisoning is dependent on the amount of substance consumed, time between consumption and treatment, severity of the symptoms, as well as general health status of the patient
- Individuals are mostly able to recover from the symptoms that occur due to poisoning within a few days, with appropriate medication and early support
- In case of severe symptoms due to severe contact/poisoning, it may worsen the outcome and/or prolong time of recovery. Nevertheless, no life-threatening complications are generally noted
In general, toxicities are common situations in the emergency departments. A majority of the cases are often not fatal, when appropriate treatment is given.
How can Calla Lily Poisoning be Prevented?
Calla Lily Poisoning can be prevented by:
- Avoiding eating wild berries and plants, especially if you have no information about them
- Following working in the garden or fields, hiking, or camping, always wash hands thoroughly, prior to eating anything
- Being aware of basic first aid steps in case of an emergency (such as inadvertent poisoning)
What are certain Crucial Steps to be followed?
- Call 911 (or your local emergency number) for emergency assistance, if symptoms are life-threatening
- Call Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 (or the local poison control center) and follow the recommend steps
- It would be helpful if the following information is readily available:
- Type, amount and time of consumption of the substance
- Age and weight of the individual
- And, the overall health status of the individual