Medical Information
First Aid for Bug Spray Poisoning

First Aid for Bug Spray Poisoning

Ear, Nose, & Throat (ENT)
Brain & Nerve
Contributed byMaulik P. Purohit MD MPHJul 27, 2019

What is Bug Spray Poisoning?

  • Bug sprays are insecticides used against mosquitoes and other insects. The common bug sprays contain DEET, which is a toxic chemical
  • Bug Spray Poisoning is the accidental or intentional intake of any product containing the compound. The exposure may occur following skin/eye contact with bug spray, inhalation, or swallowing of the product
  • The condition is diagnosed based upon the clinical history, combination of signs and symptoms, and additional tests (that may include, in some cases, radiological studies and laboratory tests)

Bug Spray Poisoning may be also referred to variously as the following:

  • Anti-Bug Spray Poisoning
  • Bug-Repellant Poisoning
  • Bug Spray Toxicity
  • Mosquito and Insect Repellent Poisoning

What are the Causes of Bug Spray Poisoning?

  • Bug Spray Poisoning is caused by exposure to bug sprays. This may occur following a skin or eye exposure, inhalation of bug spray droplets, or swallowing of the chemical
  • This intake could be accidental, or in some cases intentional, to bring self-harm
  • DEET (N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) forms the most common and basic chemical ingredient of a majority of the insect-repellants. It is a toxic chemical
  • Pyrethrins are the other kind of insecticides that are much less toxic than DEET-based insecticides; but, these are also less effective on insects compared to DEET

Note: The compound can interact with other prescribed or non-prescribed medications in the body. Such interactions may enhance the therapeutic effects of other medications being taken, resulting in undesired side effects.

What are the Signs and Symptoms of Bug Spray Poisoning?

The signs and symptoms of Bug Spray Poisoning can vary from one individual to another and, it also depends on the type of bug-repellent used. It may be mild in some and severe in others. Several systems of the body, such as the respiratory system, digestive system, nervous system, vascular system, urinary system, skin and ENT may be affected.

DEET-based Bug Spray Poisoning: It can rapidly affect the central nervous system and present associated neurological symptoms. Children and infants may be severely affected by this type of poisoning.

The signs and symptoms of individuals who are subjected to mild poisoning or exposure may include:

  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Abdominal discomfort that may be moderate or severe
  • Itching, irritation, and redness of skin
  • Burning sensation in the eyes, nose, mouth, and throat

The signs and symptoms of individuals who are subjected to severe poisoning or exposure may include:

  • Skin burns with blister formation that may result in permanent scarring
  • Irregular or reduced heartbeat
  • Reduced blood pressure (hypotension)
  • Severe breathing difficulties
  • Mood changes and sleeplessness
  • Feeling dizzy, disoriented, or agitated
  • Unable to walk properly
  • Seizures; long-term skin contact in children can also result in seizures
  • Collapse and coma

The signs and symptoms of the affected individuals with pyrethrins-based Bug Spray Poisoning may include:

  • Stomach upsets, vomiting
  • Burning sensation, redness and watering from the eyes
  • Respiratory difficulties, coughing
  • Low response level
  • Shaking or tremors
  • Convulsions

How is First Aid administered for Bug Spray Poisoning?

First Aid tips for Bug Spray Poisoning:

  • Call 911 or your local emergency help number immediately, for emergency assistance
  • Call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 (or your local poison control center) for further instructions
  • Provide them with information such as the compound taken, quantity and time of ingestion, age, weight and general health status of affected individual
  • Carefully remove the individual from the exposure area
  • Confirm that the airways are protected; also, ensure breathing and the presence of pulse
  • If skin exposure or involvement of the eye has occurred, then wash thoroughly with copious amounts of water (for at least 15 minutes)
  • Unless instructed by a healthcare professional, DO NOT induce vomiting in the affected individual
  • Otherwise, following an ingestion of the substance, immediately give milk or water to drink
  • In case of symptoms that indicate difficulty in swallowing including vomiting or decreased alertness, do not give anything by way of mouth
  • Take individual to emergency room (ER) for further treatment
  • Dispose contaminated clothing, while wearing protective gloves/gear, based on suitable instruction of the poison control center
  • Always try to take the product bottle/container to the ER

The emergency medical health professional might perform the following steps towards treating the condition:

  • Decontaminate the individual before starting treatment (usually done by the first responders), if necessary
  • Gastric lavage for elimination of the substance from the stomach (irrigation using special solutions)
  • Administer suitable medication to counter effects of the toxin
  • Medically manage symptoms, such as abnormal heart rate and seizures
  • Provide breathing support, if necessary
  • Wash skin and eyes repeatedly and thoroughly (irrigation), to eliminate any remaining hazardous compound
  • Administer fluids by an intravenous drip line

Who should administer First Aid for Bug Spray Poisoning?

First aid for Bug Spray Poisoning is administered by healthcare professionals.

  • The individual who is affected, or someone near, should call 911 for emergency assistance (or the local emergency number)
  • They should also call the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 (or the local poison control center) and follow instructions

What is the Prognosis of Bug Spray Poisoning?

  • The prognosis of Bug Spray Poisoning is dependent on the amount of substance consumed, type of substance consumed/exposed to (such as DEET or pyrethrin), time between consumption and treatment, severity of the symptoms, as well as general health status of the patient
  • In general, individuals exposed to pyrethrin-based and DEET-based bug repellents usually recover with adequate treatment, in case of mild poisoning/exposure
  • Significant exposure to DEET-based bug repellents may adversely affect the prognosis. The prognosis, in such cases, depend on several parameters; the presence of severe symptoms may lead to brain injury and can result in death
  • Inhaling substantial amounts of bug spray can be a life-threatening situation that requires immediate medical attention

In general, toxicities are common situations in the emergency departments. A majority of the cases are often not fatal, when appropriate treatment is given.

How can Bug Spray Poisoning be Prevented?

Bug Spray Poisoning can be prevented by:

  • Keeping poisonous/hazardous chemicals and other materials out of children’s reach
  • Always follow instructions for usage of any chemical products
  • Using appropriate protective wear (hand gloves, face masks) when working with such chemicals
  • Be aware of basic first aid steps in case of an emergency (such as inadvertent poisoning)

What are certain Crucial Steps to be followed?

  • Call 911 (or your local emergency number) for emergency assistance, if symptoms are life-threatening
  • Call Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 (or the local poison control center) and follow the recommend steps
  • It would be helpful if the following information is readily available:
    • Type, amount and time of consumption of the substance
    • Age and weight of the individual
    • And, the overall health status of the individual
Was this article helpful

On the Article

Maulik P. Purohit MD MPH picture
Approved by

Maulik P. Purohit MD MPH

Assistant Medical Director, Medical Editorial Board, DoveMed Team


Please log in to post a comment.

Related Articles

Test Your Knowledge

Asked by users

Related Centers


Related Specialties

Loading card

Related Physicians

Related Procedures

Related Resources

Join DoveHubs

and connect with fellow professionals

Related Directories

Who we are

At DoveMed, our utmost priority is your well-being. We are an online medical resource dedicated to providing you with accurate and up-to-date information on a wide range of medical topics. But we're more than just an information hub - we genuinely care about your health journey. That's why we offer a variety of products tailored for both healthcare consumers and professionals, because we believe in empowering everyone involved in the care process.
Our mission is to create a user-friendly healthcare technology portal that helps you make better decisions about your overall health and well-being. We understand that navigating the complexities of healthcare can be overwhelming, so we strive to be a reliable and compassionate companion on your path to wellness.
As an impartial and trusted online resource, we connect healthcare seekers, physicians, and hospitals in a marketplace that promotes a higher quality, easy-to-use healthcare experience. You can trust that our content is unbiased and impartial, as it is trusted by physicians, researchers, and university professors around the globe. Importantly, we are not influenced or owned by any pharmaceutical, medical, or media companies. At DoveMed, we are a group of passionate individuals who deeply care about improving health and wellness for people everywhere. Your well-being is at the heart of everything we do.

© 2023 DoveMed. All rights reserved. It is not the intention of DoveMed to provide specific medical advice. DoveMed urges its users to consult a qualified healthcare professional for diagnosis and answers to their personal medical questions. Always call 911 (or your local emergency number) if you have a medical emergency!