×

Please Remove Adblock
Adverts are the main source of Revenue for DoveMed. Please remove adblock to help us create the best medical content found on the Internet.

Walgreens Recalls Powdered Sugar Mini Donuts For Possible Existence Of Mold

Last updated June 12, 2015

Approved by: Maulik P. Purohit MD, MPH

The US Food and Drug Administration has announced that Walgreen Inc., an Illinois-based company, is recalling “Nice! Powdered sugar mini donuts” for the possible presence of mold.


The US Food and Drug Administration has announced that Walgreen Inc., an Illinois-based company, is recalling “Nice! Powdered sugar mini donuts” for the possible presence of mold. Walgreen Co. initiated the recall after receiving complaints from consumers.

The Nice! Brand of powdered mini donuts was sold in Walgreens stores in the USA. The mini donuts are marked with WIC number 178206 and UPC number 4902264948. The donuts are sold in 11.5 ounces packages. Consumers are requested to return their product to any Walgreens store for a full refund.

Consumers are requested to contact Walgreen Co. at 1-800-925-4733 for more information.

Mold in food:

  • Foodborne mold in or on food could cause allergic reactions in individuals who consume the contaminated food item.
  •          Some mold could cause respiratory problems.
  • Under the right conditions, a few molds could produce a toxin known as “mycotoxin.”
  • Some mycotoxins, like Aflatoxin, are poisonous and could potentially lead to sickness and even death in humans.

Do’s and Don’ts of dealing with mold-contaminated food:

  • Do:

              o   Discard the contaminated item in a plastic wrap.

              o   Clean the refrigerator or pantry area where the contaminated item was stored.

              o   Check nearby items the contaminated food was touching to make sure they are not growing mold.

              o   Thoroughly clean hands, as well as the skin of the arm, etc., which could have come in contact with contaminated food.

  • Do not:

              o   Sniff the food item contaminated with mold, as it could lead to fungal spores being inhaled and cause respiratory trouble

              o   Leave contaminated food within reach of children or pets

People suffering from Asthma or Pediatric Asthma and who are sensitive to mold could have an Asthma attack after exposure. Readers are requested to consult with a physician if they fear mold ingestion or inhalation.

Primary Reference:

U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (n.d.). Retrieved June 11, 2015, from http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm450672.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

Additional References:

FSIS. (n.d.). Retrieved June 11, 2015, from http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/molds-on-food-are-they-dangerous_/

Bennett, J., & Klich, M. (2003). Mycotoxins. Clinical Microbiology Reviews, 16(3), 497-516.

Health Professional Mold Frequently Asked Questions. (2014, August 12). Retrieved June 11, 2015, from https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/mold/faq.htm

Asthma - Adults. (n.d.). Retrieved June 11, 2015, from http://www.dovemed.com/asthma-adults/

Pediatric Asthma. (n.d.). Retrieved June 11, 2015, from http://www.dovemed.com/pediatric-asthma/

Reviewed and Approved by a member of the DoveMed Editorial Board
First uploaded: June 12, 2015
Last updated: June 12, 2015