The topic FSIAD (Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder) you are seeking is a synonym, or alternative name, or is closely related to the medical condition Female Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder.
- Female Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder (HSDD) is defined as a lack of desire for sex that leads to distress and interpersonal difficulties. HSDD is the most prevalent sexual disorder in women of all ages
- Surgically, post-menopausal women at 20-49 years of age are at a greater risk of being diagnosed with HSDD, compared to those who are naturally post-menopausal, pre-menopausal, and surgically post-menopausal of advanced age
Note: The term ‘surgical menopause’ refers to the condition (before normal menopause) when both the ovaries and/or the uterus are removed from a woman, due to various health reasons.
- HSDD could be caused by a multitude of factors including fatigue, lack of connection with the partner, hormonal changes due to pregnancy, childbirth, or menopause, illness, psychological issues, etc.
- The signs and symptoms of Female Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder include a lack of sexual desires and sexual fantasies, and distress for such shortcomings
- A diagnosis of Diminished Sex Drive in Women due to HSDD may involve physical, hormonal and psychological evaluations
- The treatment is usually geared toward individual needs, because HSDD could potentially have many causative factors
- A majority of women benefit from treatment of the underlying causes for Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder
Please find comprehensive information on Female Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder regarding definition, distribution, risk factors, causes, signs & symptoms, diagnosis, complications, treatment, prevention, prognosis, and additional useful information HERE.
What are some Useful Resources for Additional Information on FSIAD (Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder)?
National Organization for Women
1100 H Street NW, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20005
Phone: (202) 628-8669 (628-8NOW)
TTY: (202) 331-9002
North American Menopause Society (NAMS)
5900 Landerbrook Drive, Suite 390 - Mayfield Heights, OH 44124, USA
Phone: (440) 442-7550
Fax: (440) 442-2660
International Menopause Society
IMS Executive Director, PO Box 98, Camborne, Cornwall TR14 4BQ, UK
Phone: +44 1209 711 054
Fax: +44 1209 610 530
European Menopause And Andropause Society
EMAS Administrative Office, c/o K.I.T. Group GmbH
Association & Conference, Management
Kurfürstendamm 71, D - 10709 Berlin
Phone: +49 (0)30 24603-0
Fax: +49 (0)30 24603-310
References and Information Sources used for FSIAD (Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder):
(n.d.). Retrieved June 16, 2015, from http://www.menopause.org/docs/default-document-library/hsddkingsberg.pdf?sfvrsn=2
HSDD | SexHealthMatters.org. (n.d.). Retrieved June 16, 2015, from http://www.sexhealthmatters.org/hsdd
Low sex drive in women. (n.d.). Retrieved June 16, 2015, from http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/low-sex-drive-in-women/basics/definition/con-20033229
Helpful Peer-Reviewed Medical Articles for FSIAD (Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder):
Leiblum, S. R., Koochaki, P. E., Rodenberg, C. A., Barton, I. P., & Rosen, R. C. (2006). Hypoactive sexual desire disorder in postmenopausal women: US results from the Women's International Study of Health and Sexuality (WISHeS). Menopause, 13(1), 46-56.
Dennerstein, L., Koochaki, P., Barton, I., & Graziottin, A. (2006). Hypoactive sexual desire disorder in menopausal women: a survey of Western European women. The journal of sexual medicine, 3(2), 212-222.
Simon, J., Braunstein, G., Nachtigall, L., Utian, W., Katz, M., Miller, S., ... & Rodenberg, C. (2005). Testosterone patch increases sexual activity and desire in surgically menopausal women with hypoactive sexual desire disorder. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 90(9), 5226-5233.
Shifren, J. L., Davis, S. R., Moreau, M., Waldbaum, A., Bouchard, C., DeRogatis, L., ... & Levine, S. (2006). Testosterone patch for the treatment of hypoactive sexual desire disorder in naturally menopausal women: results from the INTIMATE NM1 Study. Menopause, 13(5), 770-779.
West, S. L., D’Aloisio, A. A., Agans, R. P., Kalsbeek, W. D., Borisov, N. N., & Thorp, J. M. (2008). Prevalence of low sexual desire and hypoactive sexual desire disorder in a nationally representative sample of US women. Archives of Internal Medicine, 168(13), 1441-1449.