×

Please Remove Adblock
Adverts are the main source of Revenue for DoveMed. Please remove adblock to help us create the best medical content found on the Internet.

First Aid for Wart Remover Poisoning

Last updated March 1, 2018

Wart removers are typically topical creams used to eliminate warts from the body. Warts are small and usually painless outgrowths on skin that may be seen on the face, neck, hands and legs, genitalia, and other regions of the body. Wart Remover Poisoning is the accidental or intentional intake (swallowing) of any product containing the compound.


What is Wart Remover Poisoning?

  • Wart removers are typically topical creams used to eliminate warts from the body. Warts are small and usually painless outgrowths on skin that may be seen on the face, neck, hands and legs, genitalia, and other regions of the body. These topical applications may be available under prescription, or as over-the-counter preparations and ointments
  • Some of the branded wart remover products include Clear Away, Clear Away Plantar, Compound W, DuoFilm, DuoFilm patch, DuoPlant for Feet, Freezone, Gordofilm, Hydrisalic, Keralyt, Lactisol, Lactisol-Forte, Maximum Strength Wart-Off, Mediplast, Mosco, Occlusal, Occlusal-HP, Off-Ezy Wart Remover, Panscol, Paplex Ultra, PediaPatch, Sal-Acid, Sal-Plant, Salacid, Salactic Film, Trans-Plantar, Trans-Ver-Sal, Vergo, Verukan, Viranol, and Wart Remover among others
  • Wart Remover Poisoning is the accidental or intentional intake (swallowing) of any product containing the compound
  • The condition is diagnosed based upon the clinical history, combination of signs and symptoms, and additional tests (that may include, in some cases, radiological studies and laboratory tests)

Wart Remover Poisoning may be also referred to variously as the following:

  • Swallowing Wart Remover
  • Wart Remover Toxicity

What are the Causes of Wart Remover Poisoning?

  • Wart Remover Poisoning is caused by the ingestion of wart remover medications or products
  • This intake could be accidental, or in some cases intentional, to bring self-harm
  • The toxic substance in wart removers may include salicylic acid, cantharidin, and other chemicals

Note: The compound can interact with other prescribed or non-prescribed medications in the body. Such interactions may enhance the therapeutic effects of other medications being taken, resulting in undesired side effects.

What are the Signs and Symptoms of Wart Remover Poisoning?

The signs and symptoms of Wart Remover Poisoning can vary from one individual to another. It may be mild in some and severe in others. Several systems of the body may be affected.

The signs and symptoms of Wart Remover Poisoning may include:

  • Fever
  • Breathing difficulties; absence of breathing
  • Swelling of the throat
  • Nausea and vomiting (blood in vomit)
  • Stomach upsets
  • Allergic reaction leading to skin rashes; skin burns
  • If eye exposure occurs, then it can result in redness, watery eyes, and irritation. Severe cases may result in loss of vision
  • Ringing in the ears
  • Feeling dizzy or drowsy
  • Being over-excited; hallucinating
  • Renal failure
  • Seizures
  • Collapse of the body

How is First Aid administered for Wart Remover Poisoning?

First Aid tips for Wart Remover Poisoning:

  • Call 911 or your local emergency help number, for emergency assistance
  • Call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 (or your local poison control center) for further instructions
  • Provide them with information such as the compound taken, quantity and time of ingestion, age, weight and general health status of affected individual
  • Confirm that the airways are protected; also, ensure breathing and the presence of pulse
  • If skin exposure or involvement of the eye has occurred, then wash thoroughly with copious amounts of water (for at least 15 minutes)
  • Unless instructed by a healthcare professional, DO NOT induce vomiting in the affected individual
  • Take individual to emergency room (ER) for further treatment
  • Always try to take the compound bottle/container to the ER

The emergency medical health professional might perform the following steps towards treating the condition:

  • Gastric lavage for elimination of the substance from the stomach (irrigation using special solutions)
  • Medically manage symptoms and provide breathing support, if necessary
  • Administer medications (such as sodium bicarbonate) to counter the effects of the ingested substance
  • Administer activated charcoal to avoid absorbance of the substance in the body
  • Administer laxatives for elimination of the substance from the body
  • Wash skin and eyes repeatedly and thoroughly (irrigation), to eliminate any remaining hazardous compound
  • Administer fluids by an intravenous drip line
  • Suitable procedures may be considered to stop internal bleeding, if any
  • Kidney dialysis may be undertaken, if necessary

Who should administer First Aid for Wart Remover Poisoning?

First aid for Wart Remover Poisoning is administered by healthcare professionals.

  • The individual who is affected, or someone near, should call 911 for emergency assistance (or the local emergency number)
  • They should also call the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 (or the local poison control center) and follow instructions

What is the Prognosis of Wart Remover Poisoning?

  • The prognosis of Wart Remover Poisoning is dependent on the amount of substance consumed, time between consumption and treatment, severity of the symptoms, as well as general health status of the patient
  • If the individual can recover from the symptoms with appropriate medication and early support, the outcome is generally good. In many cases of small/mild intoxication with wart removers, the outcome is good
  • Delayed treatment and renal failure may adversely affect the prognosis; it may result in irreversible damage to the kidneys

In general, toxicities are common situations in the emergency departments. A majority of the cases are often not fatal, when appropriate treatment is given.

How can Wart Remover Poisoning be Prevented?

Wart Remover Poisoning can be prevented by:

  • Always following instructions for usage of any health or cosmetic products
  • Keeping cosmetics, medications, and other healthcare products out of reach of children in child-proof containers
  • Being aware of basic first aid steps in case of an emergency (such as inadvertent poisoning)

What are certain Crucial Steps to be followed?

  • Call 911 (or your local emergency number) for emergency assistance, if symptoms are life-threatening
  • Call Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 (or the local poison control center) and follow the recommend steps
  • It would be helpful if the following information is readily available:
    • Type, amount and time of consumption of the substance
    • Age and weight of the individual
    • And, the overall health status of the individual

What are some Useful Resources for Additional Information?


References and Information Sources used for the Article:


Helpful Peer-Reviewed Medical Articles:


Reviewed and Approved by a member of the DoveMed Editorial Board
First uploaded: Aug. 2, 2017
Last updated: March 1, 2018