×

Please Remove Adblock
Adverts are the main source of Revenue for DoveMed. Please remove adblock to help us create the best medical content found on the Internet.

First Aid for Mildew Remover Poisoning

Last updated March 1, 2018

Approved by: Krish Tangella MD, MBA, FCAP

Mildew Remover Poisoning is the accidental or intentional intake (swallowing, breathing-in, or skin contact) of any product containing the compound.


What is Mildew Remover Poisoning?

  • Mold and mildew removers are domestic cleaning agents for removing mold and mildew (types of fungi) that grow on damp surfaces of the walls and floors. It can result in black smelly stains on hard surfaces of the walls, floors, and ceilings. The growth can further release fungal spores in air causing a risk for allergies
  • Mildew Remover Poisoning is the accidental or intentional intake (swallowing, breathing-in, or skin contact) of any product containing the compound
  • The condition is diagnosed based upon the clinical history, combination of signs and symptoms, and additional tests (that may include, in some cases, radiological studies and laboratory tests)

Mildew Remover Poisoning may be also referred to variously as the following:

  • Mildew Remover Toxicity
  • Mildew Removing Agents Poisoning
  • Mildew Stain Remover Poisoning
  • Mold and Mildew Stain Remover Poisoning

What are the Causes of Mildew Remover Poisoning?

  • Mildew Remover Poisoning is caused by the ingestion, inhalation, or exposure of skin to compounds and chemicals that are used to remove mold and mildew stains from any surface
  • This intake could be accidental, or in some cases intentional, to bring self-harm
  • Mold and mildew stain removing agents may contain many chemicals including vinegar, bleach, sodium hypochlorite, sodium hydroxide, sodium orthosilicate, lauramine oxide, hydrogen peroxide, and others

Note: The compound can interact with other prescribed or non-prescribed medications in the body. Such interactions may enhance the therapeutic effects of other medications being taken, resulting in undesired side effects.

What are the Signs and Symptoms of Mildew Remover Poisoning?

The signs and symptoms of Mildew Remover Poisoning can vary from one individual to another. It may be mild in some and severe in others. Several systems of the body, such as the vascular system, digestive system, respiratory system, skin and ENT may be affected.

The signs and symptoms of Mildew Remover Poisoning may include:

  • Breathing difficulties, if fumes of the solution are inhaled
  • Chest pain, coughing
  • Burning and associated pain in the mouth, throat, and food-pipe (even the stomach may be burnt)
  • Speaking and swallowing difficulties
  • Skin irritation and burns (blister formation); the underlying skin tissue may be severely burnt
  • Eye irritation, burning sensation, redness and pain, if the compound spills into one’s eye
  • Loss of vision
  • Irregular heartbeat and sudden decrease in blood pressure (hypotension)
  • Stomach pain that may be severe
  • Blood in vomit and stools
  • Change in blood pH levels, resulting in several organs being affected
  • Shock and coma

How is First Aid administered for Mildew Remover Poisoning?

First Aid tips for Mildew Remover Poisoning:

  • Call 911 or your local emergency help number immediately, for emergency assistance
  • Call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 (or your local poison control center) for further instructions
  • Provide them with information such as the compound taken, quantity and time of ingestion, age, weight and general health status of affected individual
  • Carefully remove the individual from the exposure area; move them to region of fresh air immediately
  • Confirm that the airways are protected; also, ensure breathing and the presence of pulse
  • If skin exposure or involvement of the eye has occurred, then wash thoroughly with copious amounts of water (for at least 15 minutes)
  • Unless instructed by a healthcare professional, DO NOT induce vomiting in the affected individual
  • Take individual to emergency room (ER) for further treatment
  • Always try to take the product bottle/container to the ER

The emergency medical health professional might perform the following steps towards treating the condition:

  • Medically manage symptoms, such as abnormal heart rate
  • Provide breathing support, if necessary
  • Wash skin and eyes repeatedly and thoroughly (irrigation), to eliminate any remaining hazardous compound
  • Following this, a suitable skin or eye ointment may be used to treat the exposure
  • Surgical treatment for skin burns including removal of burnt skin
  • Administer fluids by an intravenous drip line

Who should administer First Aid for Mildew Remover Poisoning?

First aid for Mildew Remover Poisoning is administered by healthcare professionals.

  • The individual who is affected, or someone near, should call 911 for emergency assistance (or the local emergency number)
  • They should also call the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 (or the local poison control center) and follow instructions

What is the Prognosis of Mildew Remover Poisoning?

  • The prognosis of Mildew Remover Poisoning is dependent on the amount of substance consumed, time between consumption and treatment, severity of the symptoms, as well as general health status of the patient
  • If the individual can recover from the symptoms with appropriate medication and early support, the outcome can be good
  • Severe exposure of body organs (mouth, throat, gastrointestinal tract including stomach) to the chemical can lead to complications and irreversible damage. Deaths have been reported from Mildew Removing Agents Poisoning, months after the swallowing incident

In general, toxicities are common situations in the emergency departments. A majority of the cases are often not fatal, when appropriate treatment is given.

How can Mildew Remover Poisoning be Prevented?

Mildew Remover Poisoning can be prevented by:

  • Always following instructions for usage of any chemical product
  • Keeping any poisonous/hazardous chemicals and other materials out of children’s reach
  • Keep all poisons correctly labeled and in suitable storage locations
  • Wearing appropriate protective wear (such as masks) when working with such chemicals
  • Be aware of basic first aid steps in case of an emergency (such as inadvertent poisoning)

What are certain Crucial Steps to be followed?

  • Call 911 (or your local emergency number) for emergency assistance, if symptoms are life-threatening
  • Call Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 (or the local poison control center) and follow the recommend steps
  • It would be helpful if the following information is readily available:
    • Type, amount and time of consumption of the substance
    • Age and weight of the individual
    • And, the overall health status of the individual

What are some Useful Resources for Additional Information?


References and Information Sources used for the Article:


Helpful Peer-Reviewed Medical Articles:


Reviewed and Approved by a member of the DoveMed Editorial Board
First uploaded: July 31, 2017
Last updated: March 1, 2018