×

Please Remove Adblock
Adverts are the main source of Revenue for DoveMed. Please remove adblock to help us create the best medical content found on the Internet.

First Aid for Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose

Last updated March 5, 2018

Approved by: Krish Tangella MD, MBA, FCAP

Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose is the accidental or intentional intake of the drug in dosage higher than prescribed values.


What is Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose?

  • Methapyrilene hydrochloride is an antihistamine drug used to treat symptoms of allergies (including seasonal, food, and skin allergies and allergic conjunctivitis). The drug also helps in controlling activity of the nervous system (anticholinergic agent), and is hence, used as a sedative
  • Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose is the accidental or intentional intake of the drug in dosage higher than prescribed values
  • The condition is diagnosed based upon the clinical history, combination of signs and symptoms, and additional tests (that may include, in some cases, radiological studies and laboratory tests)

Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose may be also referred to as the following:

  • Lullamin Overdose
  • Methapyrilene Overdose
  • Restryl Overdose
  • Tenalin Overdose
  • Thenylpyramine Overdose
  • Thionylan Overdose

What are the Causes of Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose?

  • Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose is caused by the intake of methapyrilene hydrochloride containing drug in dosage that is higher than prescribed
  • This intake could be accidental, or in some cases intentional, to bring self-harm
  • The usage of this drug is on the decline, since it is believed to cause cancer following prolonged use

Note: The drug can interact with other prescribed or non-prescribed medications in the body. Such interactions may enhance the therapeutic effects of the drug or other medications being taken, resulting in undesired side effects (such as an overdose).

What are the Signs and Symptoms of Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose?

The signs and symptoms of Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose can vary from one individual to another. It may be mild in some and severe in others. Several systems of the body, such as the nervous system, vascular system, urinary system, the skin and ENT may be affected.

The signs and symptoms of Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose may include:

  • Urinary difficulties
  • Increased heart-rate, palpitations
  • Decreased blood pressure (hypertension)
  • Loss of sleep
  • Dizziness, confusion, and increased nervousness
  • Disorientation, delirium, being over-excited
  • Hallucinations
  • Shaking or tremors; seizures
  • Flushed skin
  • Vision abnormalities including blurred vision; dilated pupils
  • Dryness of the mouth and skin; dry eyes
  • Ringing in the ears
  • Fever
  • Coma

How is First Aid administered for Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose?

First Aid tips for Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose:

  • If the individual with Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose is in a coma, or is experiencing life-threatening symptoms, call 911 (or your local emergency help number) immediately
  • Call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 (or your local poison control center) for further instructions
  • Provide them with information such as dosage, type of drug taken, strength and time of ingestion of medication, age, weight and general health status of affected individual
  • Unless instructed by a healthcare professional, DO NOT induce vomiting in the affected individual
  • Confirm that the airways are protected; also, ensure breathing and the presence of pulse
  • Take individual to emergency room (ER) for further treatment
  • Always try to take the medication strip/bottle/container to the ER

The emergency medical health professional might perform the following steps towards treating the condition:

  • Gastric lavage for elimination of drug from the stomach (irrigation using special solutions)
  • Medically manage symptoms, such as abnormal heart rate and seizures
  • Provide breathing support, if necessary
  • The individual may be administered suitable medicines, to counter the effects of the drug
  • Administer activated charcoal to avoid absorbance of drug in the body
  • Administer laxatives for elimination of drug from the body
  • Administer fluids by an intravenous drip line

Who should administer First Aid for Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose?

First aid for Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose is administered by healthcare professionals.

  • The individual who overdosed, or someone near, should call 911 for emergency assistance (or the local emergency number)
  • They should also call the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 (or the local poison control center) and follow instructions

What is the Prognosis of Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose?

  • The prognosis of Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose is dependent on the amount of drug consumed, time between overdose and treatment, severity of the symptoms, as well as general health status of the patient
  • If the individual can recover from the symptoms within a period of 24 hours, with appropriate medication and support, the outcome is generally good
  • In case of complications including pneumonia, abnormal heart rhythms, or coma, it may considerably worsen the outcome. Damage to the brain may become irreversible, if timely oxygen therapy is not provided
  • Severe cases of methapyrilene hydrochloride drug overdose can be fatal

In general, overdoses are common situations in the emergency departments. A majority of the cases are often not fatal, when appropriate treatment is given.

How can Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose be Prevented?

Methapyrilene Hydrochloride Overdose can be prevented by:

  • Always taking the right dose of medication at recommended times
  • Avoiding drugs that might interact with methapyrilene hydrochloride
  • Talking to your healthcare provider, if recommended dose of methapyrilene hydrochloride does not provide relief from the symptoms
  • Refrain from self-medication
  • Exercising caution while taking multiple drugs with methapyrilene hydrochloride
  • Keeping medications out of reach of children in child-proof containers
  • For older individuals and those who tend to be forgetful, medications should be stored in single dose containers with time labels, to avoid multiple dosage
  • Monitor intake of this drug especially in patients, who have depression or harbor suicidal thoughts and behavior

It is important to give your healthcare provider a complete list of prescription and non-prescription medications that are being currently taken. This will help them in assessing the possible drug interactions within various medications and help avoid/prevent accidental or unintentional toxic drug effects.

What are certain Crucial Steps to be followed?

  • Call 911 (or your local emergency number) for emergency assistance, if symptoms are life-threatening
  • Call Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 (or the local poison control center) and follow the recommend steps
  • It would be helpful if the following information is readily available:
    • Type, dosage and time of administration of medication
    • Age and weight of the individual
    • And, the overall health status of the individual

What are some Useful Resources for Additional Information?


References and Information Sources used for the Article:


Helpful Peer-Reviewed Medical Articles:


Reviewed and Approved by a member of the DoveMed Editorial Board
First uploaded: June 28, 2017
Last updated: March 5, 2018