×

Please Remove Adblock
Adverts are the main source of Revenue for DoveMed. Please remove adblock to help us create the best medical content found on the Internet.

First Aid for Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose

Last updated March 5, 2018

Approved by: Maulik P. Purohit MD MPH

Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose is the accidental or intentional intake of the drug in dosage higher than prescribed values.


What is Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose?

  • Calcium carbonate with magnesium hydroxide is a chemical compound that forms an active ingredient of many antacids. The compound is used to relieve symptoms such as heartburns and indigestion
  • Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose is the accidental or intentional intake of the drug in dosage higher than prescribed values
  • The condition is diagnosed based upon the clinical history, combination of signs and symptoms, and additional tests (that may include, in some cases, radiological studies and laboratory tests)

Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose may be also referred to variously as the following:

  • Antacids Overdose
  • Rolaids Overdose

What are the Causes of Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose?

  • Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose is caused by intake of calcium carbonate with magnesium hydroxide containing medications (antacids) in dosage that is higher than prescribed
  • This intake could be accidental, or in some cases intentional, to bring self-harm
  • It is available as over-the-counter antacids (in both chewable form and solution form) and sold under brand names Maalox, Mylanta, Rolaids, and Tums among others

Note: The drug can interact with other prescribed or non-prescribed medications in the body. Such interactions may enhance the therapeutic effects of the drug or other medications being taken, resulting in undesired side effects (such as an overdose).

What are the Signs and Symptoms of Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose?

The signs and symptoms of Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose can vary from one individual to another. It may be mild in some and severe in others. Several systems of the body may be affected.

The signs and symptoms of Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose may include

  • Constipation or diarrhea
  • Dryness in the mouth
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Lethargy and slow response level
  • Lack of balance
  • Bone pain (following prolonged abuse)

How is First Aid administered for Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose?

First Aid tips for Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose:

  • If the individual with Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose is experiencing life-threatening symptoms, call 911 (or your local emergency help number) immediately
  • Call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 (or your local poison control center) for further instructions
  • Provide them with information such as dosage, type of drug taken, strength and time of ingestion of medication, age, weight and general health status of affected individual
  • Unless instructed by a healthcare professional, DO NOT induce vomiting in the affected individual
  • Confirm that the airways are protected; also, ensure breathing and the presence of pulse
  • Take individual to emergency room (ER) for further treatment
  • Always try to take the medication strip/bottle/container to the ER

The emergency medical health professional might perform the following steps towards treating the condition:

  • Medically manage symptoms, such as abnormal heart rate
  • Provide breathing support, if necessary
  • Administer activated charcoal to avoid absorbance of drug in the body
  • Administer laxatives for elimination of drug from the body
  • Administer fluids by an intravenous drip line

Who should administer First Aid for Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose?

First aid for Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose is administered by healthcare professionals.

  • The individual who overdosed, or someone near, should call 911 for emergency assistance (or the local emergency number)
  • They should also call the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 (or the local poison control center) and follow instructions

What is the Prognosis of Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose?

  • The prognosis of Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose is dependent on the amount of drug consumed, time between overdose and treatment, severity of the symptoms, as well as general health status of the patient
  • In most cases, the individual can recover from the symptoms with appropriate medication and support. The outcome is generally good and no complications are noted
  • In rare cases, deaths have been reported from an overdose of the substance, particularly due to cardiac-related abnormalities

In general, overdoses are common situations in the emergency departments. A majority of the cases are often not fatal, when appropriate treatment is given.

How can Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose be Prevented?

Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium Hydroxide Overdose can be prevented by:

  • Always taking the right dose of medication at recommended times
  • Avoiding drugs that might interact with calcium carbonate with magnesium hydroxide
  • Talking to your healthcare provider, if recommended dose does not provide adequate relief or reduce the symptoms
  • Refrain from self-medication
  • Exercising caution while taking multiple drugs with calcium carbonate with magnesium hydroxide
  • Keeping medications out of reach of children in child-proof containers
  • For older individuals and those who tend to be forgetful, medications should be stored in single dose containers with time labels, to avoid multiple dosage
  • Monitor intake of this drug especially in patients, who have depression or harbor suicidal thoughts and behavior

It is important to give your healthcare provider a complete list of prescription and non-prescription medications that are being currently taken. This will help them in assessing the possible drug interactions within various medications and help avoid/prevent accidental or unintentional toxic drug effects.

What are certain Crucial Steps to be followed?

  • Call 911 (or your local emergency number) for emergency assistance, if symptoms are life-threatening
  • Call Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 (or the local poison control center) and follow the recommend steps
  • It would be helpful if the following information is readily available:
    • Type, dosage and time of administration of medication
    • Age and weight of the individual
    • And, the overall health status of the individual

What are some Useful Resources for Additional Information?


References and Information Sources used for the Article:


Helpful Peer-Reviewed Medical Articles:


Reviewed and Approved by a member of the DoveMed Editorial Board
First uploaded: July 2, 2017
Last updated: March 5, 2018