The topic Familial Tremor you are seeking is a synonym, or alternative name, or is closely related to the medical condition Essential Tremor.
- Essential Tremor (ET) is a progressive condition, characterized by involuntary and rhythmic shaking of different parts of the body. This condition is different from the tremors caused by other medical illnesses, such as Parkinson’s disease, or those that result from a head trauma
- The likelihood of being affected with Essential Tremor increases with age, and it is more common in individuals older than 65 years of age. A family history of the disorder is a major risk factor for being diagnosed with this condition
- The exact cause of Essential Tremor is unclear, although a genetic basis is suspected. It is researched that certain genes may be involved in the development of this condition. Some cases are believed to be inherited in an autosomal dominant manner
- The main symptom of ET includes tremors in the hands and feet, which can progress to other body parts, particularly to the head. The shaking can be quick or prolonged, may occur internally or externally, and may be felt when the individual is mobile and active or while resting
- In individuals with Essential Tremor, stress, caffeine use, emotional upheaval, drop in blood sugar, and fatigue can exacerbate the condition
- Since Essential Tremor is a progressive condition, it can lead to complications such as inability to perform routine daily functions. ET can also cause abnormal gait and problems with movement coordination. There is evidence to suggest that individuals with ET have an increased risk for developing Parkinson’s disease as well
- The treatment options for Essential Tremor include medication and surgery for advanced cases. Non-medical approaches, such as relaxation therapies and “weighting” may also be recommended with other treatment options
- Presently, there are no known methods of preventing this disorder. Relaxing and coping with stress effectively may help in avoiding the progression of one’s symptoms
- Essential Tremor is considered a benign condition. However, the worsening of symptoms may affect the quality of one’s life; it can also cause severe psychological stress
Please find comprehensive information on Essential Tremor regarding definition, distribution, risk factors, causes, signs & symptoms, diagnosis, complications, treatment, prevention, prognosis, and additional useful information HERE.